March 28, 2008, 12:34 pm / Categories: Winter Gear
Earlier this month ski guide Martin Volken—a Swiss expat now living in the Seattle area—lead the way with two Norwegian guides on a ski-touring trip I jumped in on in the Romsdal Alps. (See my trip report here.) Volken, owner of Pro Guiding Service in North Bend, Wash., gave me pointers on how to most efficiently skin uphill, kick turn, and cut a path up steep faces on mountains with names like Kirketaket and Smorbottentin.
But it was only later that I learned Volken is the man of the moment in backcountry ski and ski-touring information.
Indeed, earlier this month Mountaineers Books published “Backcountry Skiing: Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering.” Volken is co-author, along with Scott Schell and Margaret Wheeler.
The 344-page textbook to all things backcountry and skiing covers topics from avalanche safety and navigation to gear, fitness information and nutrition for the high peaks. There’s a tutorial on how to employ advanced ski mountaineering techniques as well as the basics for beginners just getting the guts to head out of bounds.
But don’t just take my word. Here’s what backcountry ski guru Lou Dawson has to say:
”[This book] is indeed a magnum opus. Not only is this one of the most current backcountry skiing how-tos I’ve ever seen, but it covers an amazing gamut of information, including Chapter 2, “Decision Making in Avalanche Terrain,”; and Chapter 4, “Uphill Movement,” which gets incredibly detailed. If you’re new to the game, I’d say this chapter alone makes the book worth the price. Highly recommended.”
See the details on “Backcountry Skiing: Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering” here: www.mountaineersbooks.org
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.