February 18, 2010, 10:32 pm / Categories: Biking
Wipe your drool because it’s not out yet. Cannondale is pushing the limits of suspension technology with Simon. It’s an innovative electronic front suspension system for mountain bikes that senses the terrain and adjusts the damping accordingly.
If the ground says hard pack or rough rocks, Simon listens accordingly and adjusts on the fly. And it’ll adjust before you know it if you suddenly hit a big rock or huck a cliff without changing the settings ahead of time.
The stem-mounted readout and fork guts are linked to an accelerometer that’s built into the front hub. As the force on the accelerometer changes, so does the fork’s damping. It’s said to be able to go from full lockout to fully open in six milliseconds.
To make it simple, Cannondale preprogrammed five settings into the computer for typical riding – all mountain, downhill, cross country, lockout and travel management. The company also has 10,000 terrain maps to make sure your fork’s performing at its peak no matter the trail.
The entire system is controlled via a small joystick mounted on the handlebar.
Cannondale’s Simon is still in its prototype phase. A company spokesman said there is no timetable when it’ll be available to consumers, if at all, nor a projected price.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.