March 14, 2013, 1:09 pm / Categories: Footwear
Put away your fixed-gear bike. Jump on a skateboard? Chrome is a bike brand, but this week the company unveiled a boot made for skateboarders, the moto crowd, and flat-pedal cyclists.
The 415 Urban Work Boot is waterproof and sold as having a “sneaker-like” fit.
A steel toe is not included, but there is a padded ankle collar and Cordura or leather upper options. For insulation, the company uses a neoprene membrane that’s breathable and adds warmth.
We got a pair to test. They are good-looking and versatile for everyday wear with a slight punk/bike-messenger aesthetic. For a late-winter day on a bike — slushy, wet, mid-30s — our tester found the boots perfect for a flat-pedal city ride.
The midsole is very flexible — they bend in the hand like a shoe, not a boot. Watch out on ice and muddy terrain, the outsole has no lugs and is almost slick. Our tester spilled on an icy sidewalk in the boots.
Lightweight they are not. But at 18.4 ounces in a men’s size 10 the leather Urban Work Boot is not heavy for what it is (a high-top, durable shoe/boot).
Chrome sells the boots for $120 and up ($150 for the leather version). They come with a 365-day warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.