June 28, 2010, 11:54 am / Categories: Hiking
By T.C. WORLEY
Quality socks are one of life’s small pleasures. For the last couple of months, I’ve been running and riding in what I feel embody quality, the made-in-Vermont Run/Bike Series from Darn Tough. These socks come in a merino wool or Coolmax variety. I chose model “1435/No-Show Coolmax,” which have an airy mesh weave and run about $12.50 per pair.
The open mesh on the socks’ top acts like a screen door, allowing me to finish runs and rides with relatively little sweat on my feet. Heel and sole material is noticeably thicker and more dense than what I am used to, and the fit is snug. But there has been no bunching or sliding in my shoes.
My only gripe is that I like a “no-show” sock to, well, show a little less. I found the cuff to be a wee bit too generous, poking out of the top of my shoe.
So far the socks have performed great. The thin, tight weave seems like it will hold up to a lot of abuse. And though I’ve gotten them pretty filthy a few times, they continue to return to their former crisp white after a wash.
A unique point with this company: They have an unconditional lifetime guarantee. Really. Say you wear a hole in your socks. Send them in for a replacement. It seems they’re willing to wager that their products are literally “darn tough.”
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.