The girl done up like Superwoman looked pretty good. The guy in the tutu? He made me feel strangely overdressed.
I was at the starting line of the Eddie Bauer Mud Run, a popular “competitive” event at the GoPro Mountain Games. Dressed in running shorts and a tech shirt, no bling on my body, I felt a bit out of place.
At the “GO!” the pack surged, and I started to jog forward with 300 or so other mud runners on what would be one of the weirdest races of my life.
Three laps, 5 kilometers of distance, and much mud lay ahead. The competitive runner in me couldn’t help it, and soon I found myself heading toward the front of the pack.
(See “6 Tips For Your Mud Run”) on page 2 of this post.)
Mud runs are a trend around the U.S. They mix a race format with obstacles, knee-deep sludge, standing water, and a vibe that’s more “Mardi Gras” than a competitive event.
Perhaps it was my lack of costume, but at the Vail race instead of partying with the pack I found myself duking out the lead spot with a young runner pacing hard. We crested the course’s first hill. I took the lead, and I never looked back.
By the finish line less than 20 minutes later, I was wheezing and muddy, sprinting into the end in first-place so hard that the event announcer didn’t even notice.
I had won the mud run, and nobody cared. They were too busy having fun.
Continued on next page: “6 Tips for Your First Mud Run”. . .
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.