June 05, 2009
At age 38, Jeff Lenosky of Sparta, New Jersey, is still a serious threat in competitions like the Freeride Dual, a head-to-head race in Vail. The race includes “difficult but doable” jumps, ramps and other obstacles. Riders choose to enter on a big, DH-style bike, go fast and light on a BMX bike, or ride something in between. We caught up with Lenosky at the GearJunkie.com booth in Vail before the race.
Gear Junkie: What bike are you using in the Freeride Dual?
Lenosky: It’s a Giant STP, which stands for street, trails, and park. It’s a bike I designed for 2009. It weighs about 26 pounds and is a hardtail with a lower seat so you don’t fly over the handlebars.
Gear Junkie: Any other interesting gear you use in the race?
Lenosky: The Teva B1 shoes are unique. I’ve got them. And for eyewear, I have the Native Bomber Glasses. Very nice.
Gear Junkie: What does it take to win a race like the Freeride Dual?
Lenosky: The course is basically a series of obstacles not conducive to biking. You need to jump, balance, and ride at high speed. The first one through the course wins. There are no points for style. It’s a clean competition, like a drag race on bikes.
Go to www.jefflenosky.com for more on Jeff Lenosky and the freeride lifestyle.
- Keyword Search
- Social Media
- Follow me on Twitter
- Check out GJ on Facebook
- Daily Dose RSS Feed
Latest Tweet: May 17, 2013 @ 05:29 PM
One week to go! Team GearJunkie athlete Andrei Karpov is running an adventure race. Sign up here: https://t.co/fwIX8ueCeW
- Latest Articles
- Stomping Grounds: Photo Shoot and Shoe Test in 'Urban Outdoors'
- 'Golden Axe' award at GoPro Mountain Games
- Video: Three Weeks of Pristine Climbing in Greenland (in three minutes)
- Glacier Trek, Waterfalls, 'Blue Lagoon' highlights of Iceland Trip
- Seeking 'Mountain Bike Action' in photo contest with The North Face
- Up and Down the World's Highest Mountain in 36 Hours (that's the goal)
- 12yr.-old Kids kayak off waterfalls, Beat Adults in Comps
- Call from Anywhere. SPOT launches Satellite Phone for Outdoors
- Icy Surf Shot, New Zealand Summit image win photo contest
- 50 Miles in Flip-Flops? Luna sells sandals to ultra-running market
- Popular Articles