September 13, 2006, 11:42 am / Categories: Miscellaneous
In the take-it-for-what-it’s-worth file, the organizers of the Outdoor Retailer Summer Market trade show have identified a few “key trends” based on last month’s show in Salt Lake City. Here’s the dope:
Trend No. 1—Luxury Camping
Many exhibitors are addressing the needs of the maturing Baby Boomer Generation by introducing high-end camping gear designed around comfort. Exhibitors at Summer Market displayed top-of-the-line camp furniture, canoes and kayaks, wired apparel, grills, radio coolers, hammocks and more, all intended for campers demanding the comfort of home away from home.
Trend No. 2—Footwear Segment Takes Off
The footwear segment continues to build momentum as an essential part of the outdoor community. Niche markets now include outdoor walking and women’s climbing shoes.
Trend No. 3—Increasing Action Sports Presence
Yet another buzz factor is the steady emergence of the action sport market at the OR trade show. New exhibitors such as Quiksilver USA, 686 and Olukai had attendees talking about the fusion of action sports with outdoor adventures.
Trend No. 4—Connecting With the Youth Market
This year, many outdoor industry manufacturers and retailers are turning their focus towards the youth market, also known as the “Millennial Generation.” This generation’s notion of fun represents the future of the business, and thus a number of exhibitors are launching products designed to engage and excite the youth market.
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.