November 9, 2012, 8:38 am / Categories: Miscellaneous
And the winners are. . . Outside magazine has announced its winter 2013 “Gear of the Year” awards, a primo kit of cold-weather equipment recommendations featured in the magazine’s Winter Buyer’s Guide issue, online and on newsstands this month.
Outside recruits dozens of testers and gear writers to cull the list, which includes eight categories of equipment, from jackets and packs to snowboards. The best product from each category wins a “Gear of the Year” nod for its innovation and design.
This year, GearJunkie was contracted to head up one section of Outside’s guide, “Multi-Use Jackets,” for which the La Sportiva Storm Fighter GTX won Gear of the Year. (The full article is here: “The 7 Best Multi-Use Jackets of 2013.”)
Congrats to all the GOY-winning brands. Here’s the full list of this winter’s “Gear of the Year” awardees:
> Alpine Ski: Dynastar Cham 97
> Resort Jacket: Arc’Teryx Modon
> Snowboard: Never Summer Proto CT/CTX
> Backcountry Ski: K2 Backdrop
> Snowshoe: Atlas Race
> Winter Running Shoe: Salomon Snowcross CS
> Multi-Use Jacket: La Sportiva Storm Fighter GTX
> Backpack: Arc’Teryx Quintic 38
—The full rundown on the award winners — as well as reviews of hundreds more pieces of gear from the Outside Winter Buyer’s Guide — is online at OutsideMag.com this month.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.