August 19, 2010, 12:25 pm / Categories: Biking
In what had to be the most surreal mountain bike sales experience of their careers, Niner Bikes’ co-founders Chris Sugai and Steve Domahidy spent this morning fitting a full-suspension bike for Former President George W. Bush. In a press release headlined “Niner Bikes Go Presidential,” the company announced it was offered the opportunity via a local Niner dealer, Kennebunkport Bicycle Company, in Kennebunkport, Maine. “Most of Peloton 1, Mr. Bush’s regular mountain bike crew, is on 29-inch wheels,” said Brandon Gillard, owner of the bike shop. “He asked if he could try a Niner.”
Bush, Sugai, Domahidy and the rest of the Peloton 1 crew — as well as a full complement of Secret Service people — went for a ride on the crew’s usual morning loop. “Mr. Bush is really fast,” said Domahidy, ”and a very good technical rider, too.”
The presidential uptake? Domahidy said Bush noted that on the 29er he had dropped a full three minutes off of his fastest lap time.
Said Sugai: “It is really hard to believe that just a few years ago we were showing our first frame at Sea Otter and now we are riding with a former President of the United States.”
The press release does not say if Bush bought the bike, Niner’s Jet 9 model, which is touted as a “race-ready” bike with three inches of travel. It costs $1,749. One thought: If Bush drops part of his presidential pension for the ride, is that pork or is it taxpayer dollars well spent?
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.