By RYAN DIONNE
I’m a self-proclaimed skeptic of most things — especially if it’s food that “tastes like cardboard,” which is a saying some people ascribe to the category of energy bars.
After sampling a few Clif Bars years ago, and not finding a flavor I liked, I hadn’t touched the product until recently.
Now, though, with flavors like Blueberry Crisp, Carrot Cake, Pear Apple Strudel and Spiced Pumpkin Pie, I could eat one every day and not get sick of them.
Sure, they may be mostly organic, have energy packed inside and be easy to stash, but dang, they taste good. For now, forget about the boring flavors like Crunchy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Brownie. Instead, head straight for the seasonals.
Since 2004, Clif Bar has produced seasonal energy bars that are in stores in the autumn and then only “while supplies last.”
Pumpkin has been around since the beginning, Iced Gingerbread since 2005 and Pear Apple since 2007. But if you don’t get some now, you’ll have to wait for another year as Clif doesn’t make special bars for other seasons.
Here’s my top 5 list and a note on how my taste buds responded:
- Spiced Pumpkin Pie: Spot-on pumpkin flavor with the right mix of sweetness
- Pear Apple Strudel: Very energizing, fruity taste
- Blueberry Crisp: Great fruity blueberry flavor in a substantial bar
- Cool Mint Chocolate: Tastes like a Thin Mint Girl Scout cookie
- Oatmeal Raisin Walnut: Think oatmeal raisin cookie in a power bar disguise
—Contributor Ryan Dionne is based in Boulder, Colo. He writes a blog on the outdoors and gear at http://explore-it.blog.com