May 11, 2010
For Expedition Hanesbrands’ bid on Everest, a climbing effort that spans two months this spring, Temba estimates he has hired 60 porters to ferry gear. Yaks clomped into Base Camp in early April loaded with food, fuel, and equipment. For the Sherpa team — including cooks, climbers, and assistants that help in Base Camp — Temba hand-picked 20 trustworthy individuals from the area.
During the climb, Temba directs minor details on up to major on-mountain decisions. He will work with the climbers to form a strategy for acclimatization and gear transport up past the Khumbu Icefall. He will help assess conditions for a summit push.
For the days of tough work high on Everest, climbers Jamie Clarke and Scott Simper will be in contact with Temba via handheld radios. Temba and Wally Berg, the expedition’s organizer and founder of Berg Adventure International, will dwell in the communication tent at Base Camp. Through static and storms, the Base Camp team helps direct the climb from afar.
In addition to his climbing expertise, Temba has a special relationship with Jamie Clarke. Temba served as Sirdar on the fall 2009 Hanesbrands expedition on Mount Pumori. Before that, Clarke had participated in three expeditions with Temba in the 1990s.
In 1997, Temba and his family helped organize Jamie’s wedding. Clarke and his wife, Barbara, were married in the village of Khunde in Temba’s home. Said Clarke: “I can’t imagine coming to Nepal and not working with Temba.”
- Expedition Updates
Latest News from the Mountain. Click for video, audio and article updates at ClimbWithUs.com.
- Twitter / Facebook
- Follow Gear Junkie on Twitter
- Check out GJ on Facebook
- Daily Dose RSS Feed
- Latest Articles
- Bike Lane To Boardroom: The $400 Bike Pack Briefcase
- First Look: SRAM 'Force CX1' Groupo
- First Look: The North Face 'Ice Project' Climbing Backpack
- Ultralight Borealis Fat Bike Put Through Hell, Comes Out Shining
- Best Women's 'Endurance Sports' Backpack? New Osprey Put To Test
- Duct Tape, Mountain Bikes, Bins Of 'Energy Food'... The Needed Equipment To Race
- Fat Ski Is 'Invincible, Unstoppable' On Steep, Deep Terrain
- The Rubber Tramp And The Ranch Hand
- Ice Road Bikers: Winter Riding Hell In Minneapolis This Year
- 'Shark Fin' Saddle: Would You Sit on This?
- Popular Articles No database selected