December 2, 2010, 6:54 am / Categories: Footwear
Looking to decrease your carbon footprint? A Montana-based footwear company might offer the most literal way for you to do just that. SOLE, a manufacturer of footbeds, socks and sandals, is partnering with ReCORK, a wine-cork recycling program, to design a new line of products. The company’s “upcycled” footbeds and footwear will be made with wine bottle tops that come from restaurants, culinary schools, and an airline that participates in the recycling program.
Corks are received at a storage facility in Napa, Calif., and one in Great Falls, Mont. The corks are sent to SOLE’s factories in Asia to be used in products and packaging. While SOLE is focusing on integrating the cork into its footwear, other uses ReCORK cites for upcycled cork include fishing rod handles, bulletin boards, place mats, flooring tiles, building insulation, gaskets, packaging materials, and matting under playground equipment.
The ReCORK program is sponsored by Amorim, the world’s largest producer of “natural cork wine closures.” About 12 million wine-bottle corks have been collected for processing since 2007, and the organization touts it has also planted 3,000 cork oak trees. Says the company’s literature, harvesting cork does not harm the trees, in fact the trees provide “an important source of carbon-dioxide sequestration.” Sounds like that’s sustainable product sourcing at its best.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.