February 20, 2013, 9:55 pm / Categories: Adventure Racing
9 days. 700+ kilometers. On foot, bike, kayak, through swamps, across fjords, over mountains, and along the sea. The Patagonian Expedition Race is an apex event, an endurance challenge unmatched by anything else on Earth. Today the race’s 11th iteration wraps up in Chile, where recurrent champions Team Adidas-Terrex Prunesco — comprised this year of Mark Humphreys, Nick Gracie, Sally Ozanne, and Chris Near — again took the top spot.
Our team GearJunkie/YogaSlackers is still unaccounted for as of this writing; it looks like they will take 3rd place overall. You can read about the race here. For now, though, look at these portraits at the race’s finish line taken by the stellar Chris Radcliffe. Look deep into these eyes — this is a gaze rarely seen, exhaustion mixed with the thrill of winning a race few human beings can even contemplate making it through.
—Editor Stephen Regenold completed the Patagonian Expedition Race in 2010 and 2011.
—See action images from the Patagonian race in our recent post “Ice Fields and Oblivion: Update from ‘Last Wild Race’. Follow the Patagonian Expedition Race here. See Chris Radcliffe’s website for a portfolio of his work.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.