December 1, 2009, 8:50 am / Categories: Running
Dressing right for aerobic activity in cold weather is a continual challenge. With its new Animagi Jacket, The North Face offers a hybrid option that insulates where needed but also breathes.
Horizontal panels and a high neck give the Animagi the look of a vest worn over a base-layer top. But those dark sleeves are connected to the puffy panels, providing full coverage on the arms (but only a hint of warmth).
Indeed, the sleeves and the side of the torso are a thin stretchy material that wind cuts through. But your core is protected with the PrimaLoft-stuffed front and back panels.
The system worked well in my tests, including runs and hour-long hikes in below-freezing temps. As my body worked up a sweat, the side panels of thin fabric on the torso provided breathability.
My core stayed comfortable and warm. And when I began to overheat, I pulled open the main zipper to ventilate in front.
There are thumb holes in the cuffs, letting you pull the sleeves up over the back of your hands for added warmth.
One gripe: The neck opening is somewhat large. On colder days, I had to wear a thin neck gaiter to fill in a gap where my body heat escaped from under my chin.
continued on next page. . .
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.