From fat bikes to athletes climbing in the nude, 2013 saw hundreds of articles published and a huge range of content on GearJunkie. These posts below are our 10 most-read articles of the year. —Amy Oberbroeckling
1. Climber makes couch out of old rope (and 9 other odd uses)
A couch, a beer koozie, a ladder, a dog leash… and much more. This articles features 10 unique and odd uses for old climbing rope.
2. Crazy ‘Crevasse Falling’ Video
If you climb glaciers or even just love mountain craziness you’ve gotta watch this.
3. NFL Star Larry Fitzgerald’s Adventure-filled Offseason
When not on the field, Larry Fitzgerald Jr. spends his off season having some pretty wild adventures.
4. Video: 34 Miles Per Hour in Kayak
A kayaker rockets along a drainage ditch at 34 miles per hour into Lions Bay, British Columbia.
5. Fat Bike trend Dead? Walmart sells ‘Beast’ bike for $199
Big-box retailer Walmart jumped on the fat bike trend this year with its “Oversized All Terrain Bike,” branded as a Mongoose. It has 4.25-in.-wide tires and looks to be the lowest-cost “fat bike” ever built.
6. First Look: Bear Grylls unveils line of Camping gear
The British survival celebrity made a comeback to TV last summer and simultaneously stamped his name on a full line of camping gear.
7. Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
The Sierra Designs Backcountry Bed throws out sleeping bag convention with zipper-free construction. We test it out over four days high in the Rocky Mountains.
8. ‘Dirtbag’ Climbers Convert Vans into Mobile Homes
Climb, eat, sleep, repeat. Here’s a look at 10 individuals who live and breath rock climbing and the vans they call home.
9. Famous Rock Climbers Get Naked For Annual ESPN ‘Body Issue’
“The Body Issue” magazine by ESPN walks a fine tether between athletic voyeurism and gratuitous flesh shots. This year two famous climbers are featured in a glossy spread.
10. Greatest Gear for 2014: ‘Best in Show’ Award Winners
Our favorite new gear from the 2013 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market.