The Toxic Six from Under Armour looks like it sounds.
The lightweight running shoe is “inspired by nature.” And much like the poison dart frogs of the rainforest that ward off predators with their frightful, neon coloration, this shoe is sure to be the biggest eyesore on any running trail.
Don’t get us wrong, we’re fans of eye-catching gear, but there’s a difference between flamboyant and ugly… Right? If you can get past the aesthetics, the Toxic Six ($99.99) is a lightweight (9.1 oz. for a size 12.5), low-drop shoe with some nice flexibility.
We ran on trail and pavement in the shoe. Despite its weird look, the Toxic Six shoes felt alright on the run — they are lightweight, flexible, and have no prominent heel (thus promoting a mid-foot strike).
The construction is weird, including a soft midsole to cushion, off-center laces, and a neoprene upper. Tread on the outsole mimics metatarsal bones visually, though with a camouflage motif applied to the rubber for added flair underfoot.
For the average runner, the Toxic Six provides a light, minimalist feel with enough stability and cushioning to offer some forgiveness.
We’re certainly on board with that. Someone just might want to tell the brand they’re not exactly reinventing the wheel when it comes to minimalist shoes. And a color scheme that people can bear to be seen wearing in public might not hurt either.
—Patrick Murphy is an assistant editor.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.