A camp stove that heats your food and charges your mobile devices long after sundown? You heard right, the BioLite CampStove does just that. Heat generated from the stove is converted into electricity, allowing you to plug in via USB and charge your gadgets.
The creators of BioLight became interested in a “sustainable stove” that lessens emissions and eliminates a camper’s need for petroleum-based fuels as well as batteries. It claims its namesake BioLite stoves “make cooking on wood as clean, safe and easy as modern fuels while generating electricity to charge phones, lights and other electronics off-grid.”
This is at least the second version of the flame-for-electricity stove concept from the company. TechCrunch and other publications covered the first generation stove. The images here are a new version, which has several upgrades and a new form factor.
Personally, I am excited for this solution. Having enough time and sunlight to charge my devices on paddling or backpacking trips has always been iffy. As a result, I’ve been a bit reluctant to lean too heavily on solar chargers. But a stove with this sort of compatibility would let me decide when and where I charge my electronics, most likely at night in camp while dinner is simmering and we’re hanging out under the stars.
continued on next page. . .
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.