Last night in Minneapolis, at the venerable Jungle Theater on the edge of the city’s Uptown neighborhood, 500+ cyclists and citizens crowded into an auditorium that regularly hosts live independent works to watch a projected film, “Deep Custom,” which profiles in a short documentary format a Twin Cities bike-scene fixture, Eric Noren, and his custom bicycle framebuilding business Peacock Groove Cycles. The film is a creation of director Tony Franklin, GearJunkie contributing editor and pro photographer T.C. Worley, and editor Nick Gumm. Filmed over this past summer, “Deep Custom” gives a peek at Eric Noren’s idiosyncratic personality, his craftsmanship with a hammer and a torch, and the passion it takes to build bikes that often get mistaken as works of art. The film in full, its first web showing, is below. Enjoy. And hold onto your wallet. In seven minutes from now you’re going to want to look up Peacock Groove and buy a custom bike of your own. I sure did. —Stephen Regenold
From mtb to cyclocross, fixies to road bikes, we review the greatest new bike gear.check out all Biking posts
- April 26, 2017 ‘Packing It Out’ Tour Begins! Event And Cleanup Schedule
- April 25, 2017 Lightweight, Photochromic: ‘Fyre’ Cycling Glasses Review
- April 24, 2017 In The Spotlight: Green Guru Brand Profile
- April 18, 2017 ‘Packing It Out’ 2017 To Clean 5,025 Miles By Bike
- April 7, 2017 Missing Links: ‘Chainless’ Bike Breaks Design Mold
- April 6, 2017 Proposed MT Tax: Bikers Register As ‘Invasive Species’
- April 4, 2017 First Look: REI’s New ‘Co-Op Cycles’ Tested
- March 31, 2017 Legendary Endurance Cyclist Killed In Accident
- March 28, 2017 Bike, Eat, Stay: ‘Getaways’ Is Airbnb For Cyclists
- March 27, 2017 Live Happier: Four Lessons From Round-The-World Cyclist
- March 22, 2017 Lael Wilcox Scorches First-Ever FKT For ‘Baja Divide’
Get the latest news & reviews sent straight to your inbox twice a week. It's the easiest way to stay in touch with GearJunkie.
Sign up in April for a chance to win a High Sierra Karadon 55 Backpack with tuck-away straps and reflective details.