A recap of top stories on GearJunkie, week of August 21 – 28, 2015.
1) MSR Guardian Purifier – Last One You’ll Ever Need. This is one of the finest water filters made with a price to match. Our review puts it to the test in British Columbia.
2) Solid Leki Camp Chair: Setup Is A ‘Breeze.’ Leki makes some great trekking poles, and next year will enter the camp chair market with the Breeze.
3) Scott Jurek Interview: Gear For A.T. Speed Record. Last month, Scott Jurek broke the record for thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail. This is the gear that got him through.
4) Breathalyzer Bike Lock – Curbs Drunk Bike Riding. Friends don’t let friends bike drunk, especially when that friend has a breathalyzer bike lock.
5) Grizzly Bear Hates GoPro. Darn action cameras! How’s a grizzly to get any peace? At least they’re durable!
6) Ultra Fat: ‘Sand Bike’ Designed For Soft Beaches, Mud. With an obscene front tire, the company touts you can “easily glide over soft beach sand.”
7) Benchmade Valet: The Almost Perfect EDC Knife. Small, smooth and with exceptional blade steel, the Benchmade Valet would be the perfect everyday carry knife if it weren’t for one flaw.
8) Gloves Get ‘Baked’ In Colorado. Flylow gloves are born from fire to keep your fingers warm.
9) Water Skiing Behind A Snowmobile. For the skier, getting to the water might be the hardest part.
10) Elite Runner’s Quest For Balance. As invincible as ultra-running elites like Stephanie Howe appear, they are human, too.
11) No Batteries: Light Harvests Power From Runner’s Stride. ‘Million Mile Light’ promises runners a flashing safety light that never needs batteries.
12) Accuracy, Athleticism Required In ‘Archer’s Paradox.’ Much like Biathlon, in which skiers race and shoot rifles for accuracy, this new Red Bull event requires straight shooting and excellent fitness.
13) Fishy New Rapalas Coming To Market Now. Rapala has introduced several refinements in its ubiquitous line of fishing lures.
14) Raise A Glass To Adventure — Avex Spirits Giveaway. GearJunkie partners with Avex to give away glasses from a Spirits Line.
15) Maximum Security: Best Locks For Your Bike. High-end and high-security… we review four of the best bike locks available today.
16) Rock Climbing Set Him Free… Quitting ‘Cubicle Life’ For Crag. A climber seeks a new life, quits his job, sells his home, and moves north to develop a crag in Minnesota. This is his story.
17) Selk’bag ‘Wearable Sleeping Bags’ Get An Upgrade. The Selk’bag gets an upgrade so you can really wear it anywhere — if you dare.
18) Backpack With Wheel: ‘Dixon Rollerpack’ Hauls Loads. With a single wheel and a backpack harness, the Dixon Rollerpack is built to lighten your load.
19) Lights, Microphone, Sensor… New Kind Of Bike Helmet. More than just a helmet, the LIVALL Bling has lights, communication, and automated emergency messaging.
20) Do You Ride For Donuts? The Coffee Cowboy explores the mystical nature of donuts.
21) Perspective On Power: Teahupo’o From The Sky. This aerial video offers a whole new perspective on the world’s heaviest wave. For surfers, it’s a must-watch.
22) Zipper-Free ‘Frontcountry’ Bed Aimed At Car Camping Bliss. This moderately priced sleeping bag aimed at car campers ditches zippers in exchange for a quilted covering and rectangular shape.
23) Crowdsourcing Site To Fund Your Next Expedition. Building on crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter and Indiegogo, Fortua focuses solely on projects in the outdoors and adventure.