Up near the Canadian border, in the flatlands where the winding rivers flow north, there is an event billed as the “toughest race in North Dakota.” The END-AR, a wilderness-endurance event, is this Saturday, September 4, and at 10+ hours in length, there is little to dispute about the organizers’ claim. The END-AR is an adventure race, and it has a course that will snake in and around Grand Forks, North Dakota. Since I have roots in rural N. Dak (maternal-side, Norwegian, agrarian), and since I am longtime friends with the crew putting on the event — the YogaSlackers, some of whom grew up on the Great Northern Planes — I’ve cobbled together a team. Gear Junkie contributor T.C. Worley and myself will race as a two-man squad against about 30 other teams in a 10-hour fight to the finish. Running, navigation, canoeing, biking, pack-rafting, swimming, tree climbing, and other disciplines have been promised. Here below is a sneak peek video from the event. Wish us luck! —Stephen Regenold
Adventure Racing Articles
- December 8, 2015 Extreme Test: Gear For AR World Championships
- December 1, 2015 Insane! Watch The Gnarliest Race On Earth
- August 11, 2015 Adventure Race In The City… Recap Of ‘TC Urban Dash’
- August 3, 2015 Race Gear: 10 Top Pieces of Kit for Expedition Alaska
- March 20, 2015 Adventure Race Dog Clears Quarantine, Heads Home
- March 3, 2015 ‘Trail Fighter’ Documentary
- November 20, 2014 Adventure Racing Dog Adopted
- November 18, 2014 Stray Dog Joins Team, Completes Grueling Race
- October 11, 2014 Best College Class? University Credit To Film Ultra-Endurance Race
- October 9, 2014 'RIG' Race: 190 Miles Across Quebec
- October 6, 2014 Orienteering To Whitewater Swimming… What It Takes To Win 'AR National Champs'
- August 13, 2014 Urban Adventure: Get Stamp, Run The 'Dash'
- July 28, 2014 Still Dirty, Still Insane… Welcome To 'Tough Mudder' Nation 2014
- July 9, 2014 GearJunkie Partners To Host 'Urban Race'