Up near the Canadian border, in the flatlands where the winding rivers flow north, there is an event billed as the “toughest race in North Dakota.” The END-AR, a wilderness-endurance event, is this Saturday, September 4, and at 10+ hours in length, there is little to dispute about the organizers’ claim. The END-AR is an adventure race, and it has a course that will snake in and around Grand Forks, North Dakota. Since I have roots in rural N. Dak (maternal-side, Norwegian, agrarian), and since I am longtime friends with the crew putting on the event — the YogaSlackers, some of whom grew up on the Great Northern Planes — I’ve cobbled together a team. Gear Junkie contributor T.C. Worley and myself will race as a two-man squad against about 30 other teams in a 10-hour fight to the finish. Running, navigation, canoeing, biking, pack-rafting, swimming, tree climbing, and other disciplines have been promised. Here below is a sneak peek video from the event. Wish us luck! —Stephen Regenold
Multisport racing -- map, compass, navigation, checkpoints, bike, orienteer, paddle.check out all Adventure Racing posts
- April 5, 2017 ‘The Hardest 400 Meters Of Your Life’
- October 14, 2016 Like Pain? Try A New ‘Survival Run’
- May 5, 2016 Tough Girl! 9-Year-Old Completes Wild Adventure Race
- March 18, 2016 ‘The Runner’ Seeks Contestants For $1Million Race
- March 8, 2016 Videos Give Inside Look At ‘Last Wild Race’ In Patagonia
- December 8, 2015 Extreme Test: Gear For AR World Championships
- December 1, 2015 Insane! Watch The Gnarliest Race On Earth
- August 11, 2015 Adventure Race In The City… Recap Of ‘TC Urban Dash’
- August 3, 2015 Race Gear: 10 Top Pieces of Kit for Expedition Alaska
- March 20, 2015 Adventure Race Dog Clears Quarantine, Heads Home
- March 3, 2015 ‘Trail Fighter’ Documentary
Get the latest news & reviews sent straight to your inbox twice a week. It's the easiest way to stay in touch with GearJunkie.
Sign up in April for a chance to win a High Sierra Karadon 55 Backpack with tuck-away straps and reflective details.