As if an adventure race in North Dakota wasn’t unexpected enough, check out these images from the END–SPAR event last weekend. A total of 34 teams toed the start line, and the race included biking, running, and navigation as well as a few unusual things like a sandbag carry through a marked course (including a beaver dam crossing); a BB gun shooting range test; and a “Coke can” stove challenge where racers needed to melt snow. This is not to mention fording the Turtle River, of which race director Andy Magness noted “ice on the bottom of the river made footing difficult.” He continued, “There were lots of unexpected swimmers.” —Stephen Regenold
Breaking news in the world of outdoors, adventure, and gear. Product launches, company updates, brand news, and more.check out all News posts
- April 28, 2017 The Results Are In: Half Of Americans Don’t Play Outside
- April 27, 2017 YETI Sues Home Depot, Takeya For ‘Confusingly Similar’ Mugs
- April 27, 2017 Patagonia May Sue White House Over Nat’l Monument Review
- April 25, 2017 OIA: Outdoor Industry Worth $887 Billion
- April 24, 2017 UK Chain Buys Eastern Mountain Sports
- April 22, 2017 GJ Week In Review: ‘Smart’ Shoes, Mountain Festivals, Viral Running
- April 20, 2017 GoPro Pivots, Gets ‘Spherical’ With New Camera
- April 19, 2017 ‘The Outpost’ Is Outdoor Industry’s Anti-Tradeshow
- April 19, 2017 Water In The Desert? New Device Makes It Possible
- April 15, 2017 GJ Week In Review: Space Beer, Aspen Deal, Sea to Summit
- April 13, 2017 Going Fast: Oregon Parks Announce 1,000 Extra Campsites For Eclipse
Get the latest news & reviews sent straight to your inbox twice a week. It's the easiest way to stay in touch with GearJunkie.
Sign up in April for a chance to win a High Sierra Karadon 55 Backpack with tuck-away straps and reflective details.