With more than 1,000 brands and an untold quantity of new products launched, the twice-annual Outdoor Retailer trade show can be overwhelming. But last week in Utah we had seven GearJunkie editors, reporters, and contributors on site to meet with brands, demo equipment, and scour the show floor for four days straight.
We’ve covered dozens of new products already in our live and pre-show coverage, and now out of the madness we offer these picks, our favorite and ordained “Best in Show” new gear from the 2013 Outdoor Retailer Summer Market. Watch for these goods in stores this fall or into 2014.
Congrats to the winners! The below picks represent some of the best new gear on the planet. For all of the brands involved in the OR Show, if you think we missed something amazing from your booth please get in touch. The Show is huge. Indeed, these “Best in Show” items represent really just a sliver of the amazing new items and ideas debuted to the public under the tall ceilings and bright lights in Salt Lake City last week. —Stephen Regenold
Click to View “Best in Show” Winners (part I):
- Eddie Bauer Solar Power Tent (with Goal Zero)
- Brunton Hydrogen Reactor fuel cell charger
- Oru Portable Kayak
- Trimble Outdoors Topocharger (convert a phone to GPS device)
- Mountain Hardwear Optic 2.5 Tent
- Edelrid Corbi 8.6 Climbing Rope
- Beal Unicore Rope
- Millet Opposite TRX9/10 Climbing Rope
- Magellan Echo Watch (Bluetooth-enabled)
- Thule Round Trip Elite
- Windcatcher Air Pad
- Scrubba Insta-Wash Portable Laundry Bag
- $99 Shell Jacket from Columbia
- FlameStower “power from fire” Product
—Editors and reporters Stephen Regenold, Sean McCoy, Jason Magness, Chelsey Magness, John Peacock, Sam Salwei, Patrick Murphy, and Amy Oberbroeckling contributed to this report.