This pocket-size solar charger unfolds like a flower to reveal panels that suck sunlight and turn it into electricity. Throw-away batteries can be a thing of the past on wilderness trips: With the right adapter, a Solio sitting in the sun can repower virtually any electronic device — from an iPod to a camera to a GPS device.
The unit comes in a draw-string hemp pouch and is made with a shell of tough magnesium alloy marketed to stand up to abuse where another case could crack. The Solio Magnesium Edition solar charger costs $169.95. www.solio.com
This product is a part of a series of “Green Gear” highlighted on Gear Junkie and an accompanying article on ESPN this week. See all the featured products below.
- Patagonia “Greener Neoprene” wetsuit
- Movement Eco Ski
- Merrell NADA Jacket
- Carbon Neutral Camp Stove
- Dervish Bamboo Longboard
- JanSport Reclaimed Backpacks
- Solio Magnesium solar charger
- Zero MX Electric Motorcycle
- Billabong Recycled Boardshorts
- Dragon “Plant-Based” Sunglasses
- Sustainably-harvested Surfboard