Music can help you push through a tough workout, but it has to be the right music for the right workout. Streaming music app Spotify dug deep into what constitutes an effective playlist, asking INSANITY founder Shaun T to come up with 2015’s top workout trends and had music expert Dr. Costas Karageorghis come up with a playlist for each, considering beats per minute (BPM), rhythmic construction, melody, harmony, and lyrical content.
During a workout, Karageorghis said, “the music is not used in a synchronous mode to direct the movement patterns. Rather it plays asynchronously or in the background to enhance the training environment.” He continued, “The music should not be particularly loud given the internal sense of rhythm and stream of the trainer’s verbal instructions required to master the high-intensity movements involved.”
Here is a mid-tempo playlist (average of 113 bpm) that can create what Karageorghis calls “an ideal sonic backdrop.”
1. Don’t – Ed Sheeran (BPM of 96)
2. It’s My Birthday – Will.i.am ft. Cody Wise (BPM of 101)
3. Fun – Pitbull ft. Chris Brown (BPM of 114)
4. Waves – Mr. Probz (BPM of 120)
5. Rather Be – Clean Bandit ft. Jess Glynne (BPM of 121)
6. I Wanna Feel – Second City (BPM of 122)
7. My Head Is A Jungle (MK Remix) – Wankelmut & Emma Louise (BPM of 124)
8. La La La – Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith (BPM of 125)
9. Art Official Cage – Prince (BPM of 130)
10. Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran (BPM of 79)
You can find the Ultimate CrossFit Playlist here.
What do you think? Personally, I prefer something louder and more aggressive during my workouts. I’m a fan of this workout mix below:
Spotify: Top 10 Workout Tracks In The U.S.
1. ‘Till I Collapse – Eminem
2. All About That Bass – Meghan Trainor
3. Red Nation – Game feat. Lil Wayne
4. Bailando – English Version – Enrique Iglesias
5. X Gon’ Give It To Ya – DMX
6. We In This Bitch – DJ Drama feat. Young Jeezy, T.I., Ludacris, and Future
7. Let’s Go – Calvin Harris feat. Ne-Yo
8. Kids – MGMT
9. So Sophisticated – Rick Ross feat. Meek Mill
10. The Distance – Cake
And I’d add the following:
11. All I Do Is Win – DJ Khaled
12. 23 – Mike Will Made It
13. Back in Black – AC/DC
14. Work Hard, Play Hard – Wiz Khalifa
15. Wild Boy (Ricky Luna Remix) – Mkg
We’re looking for more recommendations. What are your favorite workout songs?