July 15, 2013, 4:20 pm
The top photo submission that showcases a reader with their knife in their element—whether it’s climbing a rock face or on the job—will bring home the massive haul of outdoors gear.
The contest is underway, and top honors will be awarded on August 8–The Day of the Knife. The top 10 photo submitters will be rewarded for their efforts with some top-end steel from SOG Knives, but only one will score the $5,000 gear haul. The clock’s ticking. Submit your best photos here.
Grand Prize Preview:
Gunny Fixed Blade ($750), Arcitech Damascus ($624), FlashBack ($115), Seal Pup ($99), PowerLock V-Cutter ($114)
Zenith 88 pack ($349) and Raven 10 pack ($119)
The Xenith 88 is designed for extended backpacking trips, with a supportive and highly customizable fit, beefed up frame and deluxe suspension. Custom hip-belt molding is also available at most REI locations.
The Raven series is the new sister to Osprey’s Raptor collection of premium, mountain biking, hydration packs. Sized and tailored for a woman’s body, the Raven is equipped with a 3-litre reservoir and a hydration sleeve with a direct access zip for fast loading.
The SPOT phone allows users to make calls in 120 different countries worldwide–offering coverage far superior to a conventional cellphone. At 7 oz. the phone is easy to pack, and has a battery life of up to four hours talk time or up to 36 hours of standby.
ROAM2 Sportsman Edition Cam, with camo camera case ($259.98)
The Contour ROAM2 Sportsman Edition is wrapped in custom camouflage, with a low profile design that’s tough, compact and waterproof to one meter. The ROAM2’s versatility allows you to use the cam anywhere, anytime and capture all of your adventures in High-Definition.
BIOM Ultra shoe x2 ($320)
Part of the Autumn/Winter 2013 collection, the BIOM Ultra is built for traction on a wide variety of surfaces. The lightweight shoe is impressively versatile, engineered for trail runs, adventure competitions, light hiking and many other activities.
Palisade 4 tent ($419), two Cosmic 0 sleeping bags ($218), two Recluse 2.5i sleep pads ($190)
The Palisade 4 tent features double-door convenience that opens into an oversize vestibule with a smaller door at the back that creates a ‘porch’ space for keeping gear handy yet off the tent floor for more interior space. Abundant screens and a well-ventilated fly keep fresh air moving through.
Cosmic 0 bags are a great value for the three-season camper. An insulated hood baffle, top baffle collar, and zipper draft tube keep warm air in, maximizing comfort on chilly nights in the backcountry.
The Recluse 2.5i sleep pads are 2.5 inches thick and feature an integrated hand pump. The pads inflate quickly, pack small, and feature oversized baffles on the sides to keep you centered on the pad.
Sherpa 50 kit ($400), Estrella LED light ($50), Guide 10 plus kit ($120), Rock Out 2 Speaker ($60), Luna LED light ($10)
Fenix watch ($399.99)
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.