June 17, 2013, 2:31 pm / Categories: Miscellaneous
Obstacle Races provide a unique athletic proving ground requiring endurance, stamina and explosive power.
The Extreme Wolverine Challenge pits athletes against obstacles such as a cement block carry, half-pipe walls, and a culvert pipe crawl — not to mention miles of running just to get from obstacle to obstacle on the course.
We talked with two student winners of the Extreme Wolverine Challenge high school division in Spencer, Mass., to learn what to expect in the upcoming “adult” version of the race. (Team GearJunkie will compete in the event on July 13 at Stratton Mountain, Vt.)
“It was just a great race,” said female winner Taylor Fritze. “It’s a great experience and makes you feel good.”
Male winner Camden Dacey took the win on the day of his 17th birthday. Both winners are strong runners and athletes who graciously shared their secrets for a strong race.
1—Be ready to run. Dacey can run the 400-meter in 51 seconds. That physical preparedness helps with the intervals between obstacles on the course.
2—Work the upper body. Upper body strength is a secondary consideration for many endurance athletes, but obstacle races require some muscle. With walls to climb, monkey bar-type obstacles, and heavy objects to carry, the arms and shoulders will get a real workout.
3—Don’t wear your favorite T-shirt. “A lot of my friends were trashing their clothes,” Dacey said. Yes, this is a race, but it’s probably best to leave your best tech T at home. Your clothes will likely be wrecked by the end.
4—Consider wearing gloves. Many of the obstacles require hand use and some are made of wood. Dacey said a thin pair of bike gloves helped him improve grip on walls and avoid splinters.
continued on next page. . .
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.