September 13, 2011, 9:02 am / Categories: Adventure Racing
This past weekend, coming in midday to finish on September 11, Team GearJunkie/YogaSlackers took 2nd place overall in the 4-day Gold Rush Mother Lode expedition race! Amazing race all the way to the finish line, where the squad got in just under the cutoff with a scant 2 minutes and 30 seconds to spare. The team raced for four days straight on about six total hours of sleep.
Mountain biking, trekking, navigation, paddling, and a pack-raft section were included events this year in the Mother Lode, which was a part of the prestigious AR World Series of international events. Long off-trail mountain treks were a big part of the challenge as racers traversed the Sierra Nevada Range over four days.
GearJunkie/YogaSlackers was initially crowned first-place overall winners, but a technicality/snafu by the race organizers bumped them to 2nd overall (one of the race maps was marked incorrectly, causing eventual winners Tecnu Extreme-Staphaseptic to miss a checkpoint, which was later credited to them, and which pushed their team ahead of GJ/YS).
Congrats to Tecnu, our squad (Jason, Chelsey, and Dan), Team NUUN, and the other teams who pushed it this past week in California for four days. GearJunkie’s Jason Magness, who captained the Mother Lode race this year, will soon be posting a race report and a gear wrap-up from what was one of the team’s most epic efforts of the 2011 season so far.
—Follow Team GearJunkie/YogaSlackers on the new team micro-site this season as they race around the planet.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.