March 2, 2011, 11:39 am / Categories: Winter Gear
Touted as the “lightest and warmest hat on the market,” Black Rock Gear’s Original Down Hat is like a puffy jacket for your head. Its paneled rip-stop nylon fabric is stuffed with 900-fill Canadian grey goose down, creating an instant zone of warmth once you pull it on.
This winter, I have been wearing the Original Down Hat in temps as low as zero degrees F. It is comfortable and warm, fitting tight and staying in place with just a little bit of stretch.
The hat is resistant to water and wind, though not water- or wind-proof. There’s a headband around the inside to wick sweat.
The company, which markets to the ultra-light crowd, takes pride in the light weight of the cap. On my scale, the Original Down Hat weighed exactly 1 ounce. It scrunches up to the size of a billiards ball.
Is it the “warmest hat on the market,” as the company suggests? I wouldn’t go that far. Though toasty, the hat has just a thin dose of goose down. I have worn hats as warm as the Original Down Hat, including neoprene hats and balaclavas.
At $59, the Original Down Hat is pricey. But this made-in-the-USA product is a quality piece. Pull one on when the winter winds pick up. It’ll keep you toasty like few other headwear options can.
—Stephen Regenold writes about outdoors gear at www.gearjunkie.com.
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.