November 12, 2009, 8:54 am / Categories: Biking
When it comes to magazines, cyclists of all flavors have plenty of choices. Mountain bikers have multiple rags to choose from. Roadies have a few choices. And there’s no better mag for newbies than Bicycling. But until Urban Velo dropped on the rack a few years back, the urban cyclist didn’t have a mag to call their own.
Finding the happy medium between the professionalism of a magazine — but maintaining the roots and passion of a DIY ‘zine of yore — issue #16 of Urban Velo is a keeper. For the digital set, it’s available as a free download at www.UrbanVelo.org/download.
For readers who like to get away from the computer, it’s available in print for $3. The print run is small at about 5,000 copies. But even after it’s read and thumbed through, it will probably grace your coffee table. A subscription is $18/year for the current six annual issues.
The subtitle of the mag — “Bicycle Culture on the Skids” — is an accurate double entendre that describes the mag’s city-focus and some of its crowd, the skid-loving fixed-gear set.
The November issue includes a travelogue by fixed-gear freestyler Prolly, a primer on bike advocacy, one man’s quest to discover as much diverse terrain as possible using his only bike, a story on how to diagnose a stuck stem, and a bunch of mini-profiles of riders from all over the world.
If you’re someone who loves riding in the city, consider giving Urban Velo a read. urbanvelo.org
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.