We’ve longed used Inov-8 shoes and love their grippy, flexible, low-to-the-ground designs for running trails. Today, the company announced a shoe made for ultra distances.
The Race Ultra 290 model comes in men’s and women’s builds. They weigh the namesake 290 grams (per shoe, sample size) and are built to be durable for training, racing 100-mile distances, and beyond.
We have yet to test the shoe, but here are a few unique features and specs. It will be for sale on Inov-8.com soon for $130.
- 8mm drop (heel to toe differential)
- Shoe has a flatter outsole than many trail-running shoes. Inov-8 notes this can “make a more stable ride when athlete fatigue sets in”
- Includes an on-the-shoe gaiter system for easier attachment of debris gaiter
- Polymer shank (aligns with each metatarsal bone “to allow the foot to move more naturally,” Inov-8 cites)
- Sole has three types of rubber to balance weight, grip and durability
- Sticky rubber on the edge of the sole for grip on rock; high-abrasion rubber at the heel to help with durability
- Has a “generous-fitting” last made for when a foot swells during long races