“The most credible endorsement of gear I’ve ever heard.” That line comes from Sam Moulton, a senior editor at Outside magazine who captained the ship for the publication’s 2011 Winter Buyer’s Guide issue, released this past week. The quote is directed at Gear Junkie founder and editor Stephen Regenold, who reviewed and wrote on shell jackets for the Buyer’s Guide this year, and the “most credible endorsement” line is in reference to Regenold’s week-long jacket “test” in southern Chile last February, where he led a four-person squad, Team GearJunkie/YogaSlackers, to a 2nd-place finish in the week-long, 400+ mile Wenger Patagonian Expedition Race. The full text is below, including requisite photos of Regenold assembling a bike (with a shell jacket on) in the heat of the race as well as members of his team employing camp pads (inflatable Therm-a-Rest NeoAirs; see video here) in a bold move to “raft” remote whitewater near the tip of South America. Credible gear testing indeed!
Multisport racing -- map, compass, navigation, checkpoints, bike, orienteer, paddle.check out all Adventure Racing posts
- August 10, 2017 First Time In US, Adventure Racing Worlds Are ‘Cowboy Tough’
- April 5, 2017 ‘The Hardest 400 Meters Of Your Life’
- October 14, 2016 Like Pain? Try A New ‘Survival Run’
- May 5, 2016 Tough Girl! 9-Year-Old Completes Wild Adventure Race
- March 18, 2016 ‘The Runner’ Seeks Contestants For $1Million Race
- March 8, 2016 Videos Give Inside Look At ‘Last Wild Race’ In Patagonia
- December 8, 2015 Extreme Test: Gear For AR World Championships
- December 1, 2015 Insane! Watch The Gnarliest Race On Earth
- August 11, 2015 Adventure Race In The City… Recap Of ‘TC Urban Dash’
- August 3, 2015 Race Gear: 10 Top Pieces of Kit for Expedition Alaska
- March 20, 2015 Adventure Race Dog Clears Quarantine, Heads Home
Get the latest news & reviews sent straight to your inbox twice a week. It's the easiest way to stay in touch with GearJunkie.