January 19, 2014, 11:46 pm / Categories: Camping
A smooth stainless-steel case, a fold-out knife and scissors, and a Bic lighter wedged inside — that’s the basic outline of the LighterBro, a unique product new this past fall.
LighterBro LLC is a small company in Santa Barbara, Calif. Its namesake product costs just $9.99 and offered surprising functionality in my test.
It has a small “Japanese Katana”-inspired blade with a squared-off tip. I shaved off some arm hairs to test its sharpness out of the box.
The scissors folds out and has a spring function for snipping. Paper was easy to cut in a straight line.
On the bottom, the LighterBro has a gap made to work as a bottle opener. The knife tip doubles as a small flathead screwdriver. All components are made of steel.
Then, serving as the handle for the tool, a standard Bic lighter slides inside. It fits tightly and cannot fall out.
With the inexpensive product — $9.99 + $1 for the lighter — you have a tiny pocket tool that can be used as an everyday-carry item or for outdoor survival situations.
For its price and its small size, not to mention the fine functionality of its simple components, the LighterBro got my thumbs-up very quick.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.