May 16, 2012, 4:33 pm / Categories: Technology
Bosavi LLC is a Berkeley, Calif., startup company launching a headlamp “designed to be charged from almost any power supply.” On a Kickstarter video company founder Dan Freschl is shown recharging the little white headlamp using a solar unit, a USB computer cord, and some kind of whizzing, cord-pull electro generator that serves as a mini power station in the outdoors.
The company’s namesake headlamp was made, Freschl says, to stop wasteful battery usage. It was a design “borne out of years of frustration at the inconvenience and environmental impact of AAA-powered headlamps,” he wrote.
Instead of disposable batteries, the Bosavi has a built-in lithium polymer battery that sits inside a machined aluminum heat-sink that doubles as a reflector for the light. Its beam comes from a 110-lumen LED, which is bright enough for use while hiking or rolling in a city on a bike at night.
Freschl’s project was self-funded and it “relied entirely on low cost tools such as open-source software, salvaged manufacturing equipment and community resources,” he wrote. Work on the headlamp began two years ago, and now this year after a successful Kickstarter campaign that raised more than $20,000 Freschl is looking at a manufacturing schedule that will start soon.
“Bosavi’s story isn’t just about a headlamp,” Freschl wrote me. “But it’s about a new way of creating a business — I have done everything on this project by myself, including the design, development, programming, sourcing, branding, web-site creation, videography, and photography.”
- Latest Articles
- Are You Man Enough? Patagonia Launches 'Technical Knickers' (we test them out)
- Toddlers Compete On Push-Bikes... Strider Launches 'National Championship' Series
- 'Slide Un Cable En SpeedRiding'
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.