Nutcase helmets stand out. From watermelon graphics to faux-wood motifs, these fun helmets are among the most visible on the road.
But under the sometimes-silly aesthetic is a solid hard hat that can keep you safe. I have been riding this winter with the brand’s Crossover model. It is comfortable and warm, plus it has a magnetic buckle that’s easy to fasten even with gloves on.
The Crossover is not a winter-specific helmet. There isn’t a lining, meaning the helmet can transition easily into summer. But with only a few air holes on top, it might be too warm and bulky for hot days.
In winter my head stays warm enough for single-digit commutes. This is with a thin wool cap underneath.
If you need extra warmth, the Crossover is compatible with removable ear flaps. These fleece add-ons slide between the helmet’s outer shell and foam interior, their thick foam padding keeps my ears toasty.
Caveat: The ear flaps also muffle ambient noise. This can be dangerous when riding in traffic in a city.
It weighs 17 ounces with ear flaps in, which is more than my summer helmet but not overbearing in any way. There’s a single knob adjustment on back to loosen or tighten it up.
The Crossover helmet has kept my noggin warm on single-digit commutes without the bulk or extra weight of other winter riding helmets I’ve tested. It costs an affordable $60 and comes in lots of funky colors to keep you safe and seen.
—Amy Oberbroeckling is an assistant editor.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.