Things are not OK. Things may not be OK for a long time.
Minneapolis, our home, our community, is burning and broken. More importantly, though, our neighbors — some family, some friends, some simply strangers we pass by each day — are crying for help. And the sad fact is they have been for a long time. And though we’ve heard them, we haven’t done enough. None of us have.
His name is George Floyd, and his life was taken on our streets. And horribly, he is not alone. Our city is in crisis, but sadly, it too is not alone.
Things are not OK. There is no consolation now — only conviction to do better, to be better than we are. It starts with one simple truth: Black. Lives. Matter. We are not leading a charge; we are joining the brave men and women who have been fighting for basic justice for far too long. We see you. We hear you. We are with you.
Below are a few organizations you can donate to in support of the cause. As an organization, GearJunkie has made a donation to Black Visions Collective as a first step. And as residents and members of the community, we are working with our neighbors to rebuild and remake, stronger and more united than before.
George Floyd Protests: How You Can Help
- Black Visions Collective: “Black Visions Collective work to shape a political home for Black people across Minnesota. They center their work in healing and transformative justice principles, intentionally develop organizations core ‘DNA’ to ensure sustainability, and develop Minnesota’s emerging Black leadership to lead powerful campaigns.”
- American Civil Liberties Union: “The ACLU dares to create a more perfect union — beyond one person, party, or side. Our mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.”
- Reclaim the Block: “A coalition to demand that Minneapolis divest from policing and invest in long-term alternatives that promote healthier, safer, more diverse communities.”
- Northstar Health: “Our organizing collective core includes health providers — physicians, nurses, healers, herbalists, doulas. Many of us are also long term community organizers with diverse experience across a range of social sectors — affordable housing, environmental justice, women’s health, human rights.”
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: “The Minnesota Freedom Fund pays criminal bail and immigration bond for those who cannot afford to as we seek to end discriminatory, coercive, and oppressive jailing.”
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fund: “This fund is established to cover funeral and burial expenses, mental and grief counseling, lodging and travel for all court proceedings, and to assist our family in the days to come as we continue to seek justice for George. A portion of these funds will also go to the Estate of George Floyd for the benefit and care of his children and their educational fund.”
- Calvary Church Food Bank: “The Calvary Race Equity Committee is working with other congregations to provide rapid response support for those injured or traumatized in the midst of protests.”