Bryon Dorr — our Motors Editor and editor-in-chief at our sister site, AutoWise.com — takes the Ford F-150 for a little urban mountain bike adventure. He lets us in on what he thinks about the bestselling truck in America.
I got to spend a week behind the wheel of the 2021 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4×4 V8 Platinum FX4 in and around Portland, Ore. As you might expect, the truck impressed.
At the end of my time with this full-size, half-ton American pickup, I snuck in an urban mountain bike mission to the Gateway Green bike park. I filmed the adventure to this hidden Portland outdoor adventure gem, showing off much of what this truck has to offer in the process.
Sadly, I didn’t get a chance to take this 4×4 truck on an off-road adventure, but I’d wager that many buyers never will either. Besides its big size and long wheelbase, I’d also gamble that this machine, especially with the FX4 package and V8, is very capable off the pavement.
Check out the video for the adventure below, and read on for a quick breakdown of my thoughts on the F-150.
2021 Ford F-150 Review
The full truck name — 2021 Ford F-150 SuperCrew 4×4 V8 Platinum FX4 — is a mouthful! It essentially means that this is a powerful, four-door, 5.5-foot bed 4×4 (with off-road-tuned shocks, skid plates, and a locking rear differential) with a premium luxury interior.
I’ll add it’s but a small step below the Limited luxury trim level.
- Max Recline seats are really nice!
- Lots of power (400 hp and 410 lb.-ft. of torque) is put down through a super-smooth 10-speed transmission
- Smooth and comfortable ride
- Power outlets, center console desk, and tailgate step all help get work done on the road
- Sync4 infotainment system is class-leading
- Pricey! $74,000+
- Big vehicle to maneuver around city streets
- Small/short bed isn’t great for lumber or larger adventure gear like kayaks
To build out your own F-150 and find a dealer near you, check out Ford.com.