The city of Denver received 3,250 applications for its e-bike rebate program — and for now, that will be all.
On Wednesday, May 11, Denver officials announced they had temporarily reached capacity for e-bike rebates in their Climate Action Rebates program. Therefore, they will not be accepting additional applications at this time.
“Thank you, Denver, for your enthusiasm for making the switch to e-bikes!” says a notice the city of Denver posted on its website. “We’ve received 3,250 rebate applications, 40% of which are income-qualified,” it continued.
Climate Action Rebate Program
Launched on April 22 by Denver’s Office of Climate Action, Sustainability, and Resiliency (CASR), the program offers e-bike rebates for Denver residents. Income-qualified residents could obtain a $1,200 rebate to purchase a new e-bike.
In addition, e-cargo bikes could fetch an additional $500 rebate. All other residents are eligible for a $400 refund on buying a new electric bike.
“The whole idea of this program is to get people to use these bikes instead of their cars,” says Christine Ford, general manager at Elevation Cycles in east Denver. “Lots of people have come in asking or called us over the phone.”
Enthusiasm for E-Bikes
As of Wednesday, May 11, the program received 3,250 applications, triggering the temporary hold.
“I think we’ve been blown away by the enthusiasm for this program,” CASR spokesperson Winna MacLaren said. “We’re seeing a really clear demand and desire for people to get e-bikes and try a new form of getting around town.”
Denver set aside $9 million in aid for this program for the next 3 years. So while applications are on pause, the city will reopen them throughout the year. You can stay in the know and sign up for notifications.
Current e-bike vouchers can be redeemed at any participating bike shop in Denver within 60 days.
Denver’s Participating Bike Shops
- Bike Source, 2628 Walnut Street, Denver, CO 80205
- Campus Cycles, 2102 South Washington Street, Denver, CO 80210
- Crowley Cycles, 2134 Curtis Street, Unit 302, Denver, CO 80205
- Eazy E Bikez, 9373 W. Colfax Ave., Lakewood, CO 80215
- eBikes USA, 201 University Blvd., Suite 123, Denver, CO 80206
- Elevation Cycles, 821 Ash Street, Denver, CO 80220; 1500 Wynkoop Street, Suite 102, Denver, CO 80202
- Epic Cycles Denver, 5665 North Beeler Street, Suite 100, Denver, CO 80238
- Fatte-bikes, 2596 W. Barberry Pl., Denver, CO 80204
- Good Turn Cycles, 1401 Zuni St., Unit 101, Denver, CO 80204; 7301 S. Santa Fe Dr. #342, Littleton, CO 80120
- Hardt Family Cyclery, 10255 E. 25th Ave., Unit A1, Aurora, CO 80010
- The HUB Bicycles Denver, 3605 West Colfax Avenue, Denver, CO 80204
- Pedego Denver, 575 Lincoln St., Unit C, Denver, CO 80203
- REI, 1416 Platte Street, Denver, CO 80202
- SloHi Bikes, 3217 E. Colfax Ave., Denver, CO 80206; 4434 W. 29th Ave., Denver, CO 80212