A recap of top stories, week of Sept. 18-25, 2015.
1) Hot Pink: State Bicycle Co. ‘Thunderbird’ Review: The flashy State Thunderbird cyclocross bike represents a great intersection of style, performance, and price.
2) ‘Mine Dump’ To Ski Resort: Tour Of Taos, New Mexico: Once an abandoned mine dump, Taos Ski Valley is home to some of the most abundant and aggressive inbounds ski terrain in North America.
3) New Unsupported Record On Appalachian Trail: Heather ‘Anish’ Anderson covered the 2,190-mile Appalachian Trail in 54 days, 7 hours, and 48 minutes.
4) The North Face: ‘Top Secret’ Outerwear Project Unveiled: Next month, a kit of clothing and outerwear made for climbing comes to market as The North Face’s 2015 Summit Series collection.
5) Best Minimalist Running Shoes (From Startup Brands): Small brands building shoes, some in America, one pair at a time. If you like minimal shoes, these are some to try.
6) Ludicrous Speed: 86.65 MPH Human-Powered Machine: Todd Reichert set a new world record for human-powered speed last week.
7) Just Imagine Skiing In This Japanese Snowstorm: You’ve heard of ‘Ja-Pow,’ but you’ve likely never seen a better example.
8) Wild Fight: The East’s First Wilderness National Monument: The fight is on to make Birthplace Of Rivers a flagship National Monument, the first of its kind in the East.
9) How To Build ‘Stealthy’ Fire In Hole In Ground: Mix up your campfire with a ‘Dakota fire hole.’
10) Trail Runner Fends Off Mountain Lion With Bear Spray: Watch bear spray come to the rescue when a trail runner is stalked by mountain lions in northern Alberta, Canada.
11) Everest: The Movie Reviewed: ‘Everest,’ the major motion picture, is the Hollywood dramatization of the 1996 disaster on the world’s tallest peak.
12) My Favorite Hunting Pants Were Made In the 1930s: I inherited these old hunting pants by Woolrich from my great-grandfather, and to this day I have not found a better pair.
13) Tiny Tank: The Superb Karroll SES: Exceptional steel, a complex grind the joy of owning a one-of-a-kind tool are reasons to consider buying this handmade knife.
14) 75-Hour Road Trip: ‘Car Camping’ Gets Epic: ‘Epics’ usually happen high in the mountains or far from civilization. But car camping epics do occur, just differently!
15) ‘Hoverboard’ Flies Over Ground, But Does Not Float: The Hoverboard is touted as a superior solution in an emerging category of powered boards that “float” over the ground.
16) Salomon/GearJunkie ‘CityTrail’ Race 2015: The Salomon/GearJunkie ‘CITYTRAIL’ Race challenged runners with hidden clues and navigational feats.
17) Wind Energy: Portable ‘Trinity’ Turbine Power Station: Free energy from the wind is captured and converted to electricity with these portable turbines.
18) ‘Artisanal Firewood’ For $1,000: Smoke & Flame is a Vancouver artisanal firewood company selling bundles of kindling for $1,000.
19) ‘Future Bike’ Gear: Best Products From Interbike 2015: A look at the future of bike gear comes each year at Interbike, an industry trade show that brings buyers, designers, athletes, and journalists together in a massive Las Vegas convention hall.
20) How To: Set Up Tent In Howling Wind: Setting up a tent in the wind, alone, can be tough. Follow these tips to make it easier.