A recap of top stories, week of Oct. 23 – 31, 2015.
1) Why REI Will Skip ‘Black Friday’ This Year
The big shopping day after Thanksgiving is a veritable national holiday in the U.S. But it’s gotten out of hand, REI believes.
2) 13 Outdoors Horror Stories… Happy Camping!
Everyone has been spooked while camping. For some Halloween inspiration we present 13 short, outdoors horror tales.
3) Bison Fur Insulates New ‘Ultimate American’ Jacket
100 percent made and sourced in the USA, this jacket is waterproof, breathable and insulated by the hairs of bison.
4) Best Fall Colors? Head To The Desert Southwest
The Desert Southwest might be the best place to visit in the fall, its unexpected pockets of autumnal glory rivaling any region of the U.S.
5) ‘ALL IN’ Skiing Alaska’s Chilkat Range
‘All In’ is a 13-minute joyride that transports you to the last frontier and one of the most gnarly places on Earth.
6) Submit Photo, Win YETI Gear
Submit your most epic, badass outdoors image to win great YETI gear.
7) Weekend Project: 10 DIY Bottle Openers
It’ll take a few metal-working tools, but these simple bottle openers made from everyday items can inspire some fun weekend creativity.
8) Tech Multitool: ‘Buckshot Pro’ Speaker, Light, Charger
Bluetooth speaker reviewed: Buckshot Pro includes a multi-functional light and a power bank for biking and camping needs.
9) Poster Features ‘Every Bird In North America’
A handy reference or beautiful work of art, this poster has every bird on the continent.
10) Meb Keflezighi Gives GearJunkie Running Tips
Meb Keflezighi is among the planet’s fastest distance runners. He paused to offer tips on training and racing fast.
11) Liquid Test: YETI Rambler ‘Personal Drink Cooler’
The YETI Rambler Tumblers are tough glasses that can do double duty all day long. We review the insulated drinkware at home and in the field.
12) Ontario Canoes Navigable Works Of Art
South Street labels itself as a creative design studio, though its boats are rugged and functional crafts for rivers and lakes.
13) The Life Of Moose The Avalanche Dog
In a new video from Crested Butte, Colo., watch Moose the avalanche dog work, train, and try to live up to what it takes to be a rescue dog on the mountain.
14) KEEN ‘American Built’ Boots, By The Numbers
Manufacturing facilities in America are making a comeback. KEEN Footwear is a case study, with its Portland, Ore., plant producing hundreds of thousands of shoes and boots each year.
15) ‘Dark Energy’ Battery Survives Torture Test
A new power pack option, the Poseidon from Utah-based brand Dark Energy, is sold as a battery that’s rugged, destruction-tested, and waterproof. We reviewed it this month.
16) Would James Bond Rock A Fat Bike?
Slow rolling in ‘Her Majesty’s Secret Fat Tire Bicycle Service.’
17) Pro Climber Tommy Caldwell’s TED Talk
Tommy Caldwell is a tough climber, among the world’s best, but he is also a man that has experienced life in its huge ups and downs. He offers lessons in this Ted Talk, presented last month.
18) REI To Skip ‘Black Friday,’ Employees Get Day Off
That message dropped like a bomb on the world of outdoor retail today. In a letter from Jerry Stritzke, REI President & CEO, the company revealed it would be closing on Black Friday.
19) Brown Trout Angler’s Pint
Portland, Maine, artist and fly angler Karen Talbot specializes in scientific illustration of fish. But her latest project focuses on pint glasses for beer.
20) Eddie Bauer Puffy Offers ‘1 Million Configurations’
In our review, making a custom coat was as easy as clicking tabs and choosing colors from a palette, including a rainbow of tones and camouflage prints, too.
21) Marlin Stalks Fishing Lures
Video captures marlin darting among lures as boat trolls overhead.
22) When ‘The Wedge’ Is Firing, Hold On Tight
We never tire of watching people get pitted in the big, heavy wave known as The Wedge.