The FireCan by Ignik is a self-contained propane fire pit that’s small, portable, low-emission, and legal to use during most burn bans.
So far, 2021 has been a banner year for wildfires. As of July 28, the National Interagency Fire Center reported 81 large fires active across 12 states. In the U.S. alone, fires have consumed more than 1.5 million acres this summer and 2.8 million acres since January 1, according to the Insurance Information Institute.
The U.S. Department of the Interior estimates that as many as 90% of wildland fires in the U.S. result from human activity. Improperly attended campfires and burning during bans are two chief causes.
So, of course, it makes sense for land management agencies to place recreational burn bans on low-precipitation or drought-prone areas. Ignik aims to give campers a solution to this problem with its fire pit. Here’s how.
Ignik Propane FireCan
Ignik engineered the FireCan with fire restrictions in mind. The company leverages the portable fire pit’s all-in-one, elevated design to make its use legal under bans that allow for contained propane flames.
“We created the FireCan to meet that demand with a truly plug-and-play system that puts all the pieces in one place. It’s safe, it’s convenient, and it puts out a fraction of the emissions of a traditional wood fire, so it aligns with our mission of combatting climate change through thoughtful product design,” said Peter Pontano, Ignik’s director of marketing and product development.
Land management agencies typically consider propane fire pits a safer alternative to wood-burning fires, mainly because of:
- Ease of control — the use of an on/off switch makes cutting the flame on portable gas-powered pits quick and less involved than fully extinguishing a wood-burning fire
- No risk of flyaway or smoldering hot ash
- Elevated floor design lifts the flame away from direct contact with the ground
To meet burn ban restrictions and encourage use over wood-burning alternatives, Ignik outfits its FireCan with the following features:
- Heavy-duty steel construction, elevated design
- Tempered powder-coated finish
- Ammo-can profile, removable lid, and foldable legs for easy storage and setup
- 360-degree mesh sides for flame visibility and heat output
- Propane hose and quick-connect adapter
- 5lb. and 20lb. propane tank compatibility
When in use, the FireCan stands 12 inches tall, 7.5 inches wide, and 6 inches deep. The fire pit and its components weigh 10 pounds total.
Price and Availability
Ignik will officially launch the FireCan propane fire pit in fall 2021 for $200 — exclusively at REI. Interested campers can learn more at Ignik.