A recap of top stories for the week of Dec. 31, 2017–Jan. 6, 2018.
1) Canyoneers Share Claustrophobic New Year’s Tradition
Full-body squeezes, water up to your neck, no turning back: This is canyoneering. The film, One-Trick Pony, tells the story of the community that descends the icy slot canyons year after year.
2) Brompton Recalls More Than 8,000 Folding Bikes
Brompton’s folding bikes may have a faulty bottom bracket that can break during use.
3) Montana Warns Wyoming Elk Feeding Could Spread ‘Catastrophic Disease’
After the first case of Chronic Wasting Disease was reported in November, Montana wants to proactively avoid “a catastrophic disease event.”
4) Polish Climbing Team Attempts First K2 Winter Ascent
This January, a veteran Polish team will try and make history by scaling one of the world’s most dangerous mountains during the worst season of the year.
5) Digital Screens Are Coming to Your Chairlift
With the installation of flat screens in five chairlift restraining bars at Winter Park, the digital era has been further integrated into skiing.
6) ‘Bomb Cyclone’ Is Sharknado of Snowstorms
As a “bomb cyclone” moves toward the east coast, news coverage will encourage you to panic. Maybe just grab a shovel and some warm clothes instead.
7) My Best Outdoors ‘Gear’ Investment Yet? LASIK
Corrective eye surgery changed the way I play outdoors. LASIK removed one of the more arduous elements of camping, hiking, mountaineering, and hunting.
8) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings of the Week
Our weekly column finds the best deals from across the web to save you money on outdoors gear. Check out the deals from REI, Gerber, Patagonia, Smartwool, and more.
9) Reality TV: Steve-O, Chuck Liddell, & Motley Celebs Climb 20,000 Foot Peak
The latest ‘celebrities in the wild’ TV show appears to be anything but expected. Ultimate Expedition premieres January 17 on Youtube Red.
10) Gnarliest MTB Trail in the World? Hint: It’s Really Steep
This POV video of a steep white-knuckle trail will make your palms sweat. Thankfully this nervous mountain biker was brave enough to get it on video.
11) Gander Outdoors to Open Dozens of Stores Nationwide
Gander Outdoors owner Marcus Lemonis took to Facebook to announce the “rapid opening” of dozens of new shops across the United States.
12) Tow Your Kids While Cross-Country Skiing: Pulk 101
Go Nordic skiing with a baby in tow. We bought a pulk, a sled for pulling gear (or child) behind you while you travel over the snow.
13) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
14) Meet Your New Hobby: Alpine Ice Skating
What’s a die-hard skier to do when the peaks are bare and the temps remain bone-chilling? Consider alpine ice skating, a great hobby for snow-free frozen lakes.
15) No Bird Included: This Falconry Set Costs $120K
Stop killing rodents the old-fashioned way. This year, do it in style with a blinged-out falcon.
16) New World Record: Watch 1,393.7-Foot Rope Jump
Watch as Carlos Muñoz attempts to set the world record for rope jumping.