A recap of top stories for the week of Oct. 8 – 14, 2017
1) Head-to-Head Test: Enduro Vs. Downhill MTB
Acceleration, braking, climbing, and tail-whipping: In a head-to-head test, which comes out on top?
2) Watch the Moment of Impact In Withheld Yosemite Rockfall Footage
“If I was one day later, I would be dead.” Amazing footage, but a little NSFW language.
3) Brazilian Woman Sets Record for Africa’s Highest Peak
Fernanda Maciel shattered the previous fastest known time up and down Mt. Kilimanjaro by nearly three hours.
4) Zac Efron Takes His Brother Camping In Columbia Ad
From High School Musical to the great outdoors, singer/actor Zac Efron shows his rugged side… with some help from Columbia.
5) Monday Bargains: Three Steals To Start Your Week
Great outdoor gear at an amazing price. Check out the bargains from Patagonia, Sea To Summit, and ENO.
6) Climb Your First Flatiron: Here’s How
Want to climb the Flatirons? This guide goes into the necessary gear, approach, route finding, hazards, and more with mountain-guide beta.
7) How To Play Safe During Hunting Season
Fall is hunting season. Here are some pointers to play it safe when traveling outside during hunting season.
8) Bulletproof, Night Vision: This Custom Wrangler Costs $170K
The brand calls it ‘The Tank,’ and for good reason.
9) Wipeout Wearable: Quiksilver’s Inflatable Vest May Save Surfers’ Lives
Quiksilver and Aqua Lung team up to develop the Highline Airlift, a CO2-powered PFD. The vest aims to lift surfers who fall on big waves.
10 ) REI Launches Discount Used Gear Online
One person’s worn out old gear is another camper’s treasure.
11) Mining Almost Killed This Town, Mountain Biking Saved It
At an abandoned iron mine in Minnesota, a devastated community stops waiting for the mines to reopen and rebuilds in an unexpected way.
12) Alpinist Hayden Kennedy Takes Own Life After Partner Dies In Avalanche
Renowned climber Hayden Kennedy and partner Inge Perkins were caught in an avalanche and on Saturday, Oct. 7. Perkins died in the slide. The next day, Kennedy took his own life.
13) Wolf Vs Moose: Stunning Wildlife Battle Caught On Drone Video
Moose vs. wolf, who wins? The classic battle of nature plays out in this drone video.
14) Dream Kit: 2017 UTMB Winner’s Gear Head to Toe
Salomon athlete Francois d’Haene topped a star-studded field of ultra athletes, thanks in part to his gear. This is the kit he used to win the 2017 UTMB ultramarathon.
15) Toyota’s ‘Toolbox’ Concept: Sport Utility Minivan
Toyota offered a peek at its upcoming crossover project: Part minivan, part SUV, and all about cargo.
16) Doping Dogs: Scandal Spurs Iditarod Rule Change
Several sled dogs tested positive for prohibited substances in 2017. Next year’s race ramps up testing, prevention, and anti-doping policy.
17) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings of the Week
Our weekly column finds the best deals from across the web to save you money on outdoors gear. Check out the deals from Coast, Snow Peak, Hydro Flask, Asics, and more.
18) Patagonia, Backcountry Hunters Denounce ‘Antiquities Act’ Threat
Hunters, anglers, and outdoors enthusiasts united to call out legislation that would dismantle presidential authority to designate national monuments.
19) Boy Scouts Will Allow Girls: One Girl Scout’s Perspective
For all the little girls daydreaming about hiking deep into the woods and climbing mountains while sitting in the back of Den meetings, you soon can.
20) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
21) Sleep on the Lake: Floating Tent Pitches on the Water
Who needs a waterbed when you can inflate a whole tent right on the water’s surface?
22) ‘Geo Cables’ Give TNF Trail Runners Snug, Comfy Fit: Review
Three weeks before a 50K race, I started wearing the North Face Ultra Vertical. I put this comfortable trail running shoe to the test on just about every surface for this review.
23) REI End Of Summer Sale: Our Favorite Deals
Today, REI launched its End of Summer Sale. It’s a great chance to nab quality gear at a bargain. These are some of our editors’ favorite deals from the sale. Note, take an extra 25% off listed sale price through Oct. 16!
24) Robot ‘Charges’ To Test Your Bear Spray Skills
I hear a noise and turn. In an instant, I notice a bear charging. Fumbling for my bear I take aim and mash the firing button—too late! Thank God, it was just a robot.
25) 2017’Top Climbing Stories: REEL ROCK 12 Trailer
Margo Hayes sends 5.15, Chris Sharma deep water solos, Brad Gobright free solos, and Maureen Beck climbs without a hand.