Quarantine crafting is the new crafting. And tying flies is the perfect way to spend the time. Orvis has you covered with live tutorials.
If an international fly fishing mentor to all exists, you’d find that mentor in Orvis’ Tom Rosenbauer. He’s been a part of the brand’s crew for 43 years, and he’s been helping others fly fish for even longer.
As of late, Rosenbauer is perfecting his Facebook Live skills. And he’s teaching online classes on how to tie certain flies. The videos are both lengthy and charming — with a bit of a warmup in the beginning — and he takes questions as he goes. I lol at Tom’s antics. If you don’t end your time with Tom feeling like you just got a hug, you’re doing it wrong.
Currently, he’s tied a rusty spinner, a Clouser minnow, a zebra midge, a pheasant tail hot spot jig, and (below) the classic and simple wooly bugger. If you need supplies or a full-on fly-tying kit, Orvis has you covered. And it’s offering free shipping on fly-tying materials through April 12.
You can either join Tom live or catch the fly-tying tutorials once the live feed is finished. You can find the materials necessary for each fly in the scheduled Facebook event.
Upcoming Orvis Fly Fishing Facebook Live Events
All the following Orvis Facebook Live events will take place at 3 p.m. Eastern Time:
- April 3: Fly-Tying with Tom, Parachute Adams
- April 6: Fly-Tying with Tom, Pat’s Rubber Legs
- April 8: Fly-Tying with Tom, Sparkle Dun
- April 10: Fly-Tying with Tom, Conehead Bunny Muddler
- April 13: Fly-Tying with Tom, Copper John
- April 15: Fly-Tying with Tom, Stimulator
- April 17: Fly-Tying with Tom, Chartreuse and White Deceiver