November 2, 2010, 9:35 pm / Categories: Winter Gear
Just in time for the seasonal trifecta of holiday shopping, pre-ski-season powder lust, and (maybe?) a year-end bonus at work comes “50 Classic Ski Descents of North America,” a coffee-table tome with hundreds of color photos and more than 200 pages filled with words of worship to the best backcountry runs North America can offer. From classic Colorado lines and expeditionary descents in Alaska to Tuckerman Ravine out East, the book includes dozens of drool-worthy lines to put on a must-do list.
Authors and accomplished skiers Chris Davenport, Art Burrows and Penn Newhard picked several of their own favorite lines. But the book goes beyond just three guys’ opinions. The contributor list — including ski-mountaineering veterans and icons like Eric Pehota and Glen Plake — is broad enough to capture a geographic spread of a variety of epic lines throughout the United States and Canada.
Photos make this book pop to life, including aerial shots of mountains and skier’s-eye-view vantages staring down the maw of a couloir. The contributing photographer list includes Christain Pondella, Scott Markewitz, Jordan Manley, Brad Washburn, and many more.
“Fifty Classic Ski Descents,” a large-format book that costs $59, will be available from its press, Wolverine Publishing, and in book stores this month.
- Latest Articles
- 10 Lantern Giveaway: Goal Zero Products Up For Grabs (10 readers will Win!)
- Active Lifestyle Luxury Goods, All Made In USA (major trend in 2014?)
- Carabiner Has Built-In 'Hook'
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers Shoes
- This Light Powered By Sack Of Rocks
- Boston Marathon Winner Wore Names Of Victims On Bib
- Running Paris: Salomon 'CityTrail' Video
- Can An Innovative Axe From Finland 'Revolutionize' Chopping Wood?
- Huff, Puff And Power Your Gizmos: Portable Wind Turbine Made For Outdoors
- Video Chronicles Intensely Competitive 'Lake Sonoma 50' Ultra Race
- Popular Articles
- Innovative Axe Design Revolutionizes Wood-Chopping Technology
- Not A Mummy: Zipper-less Design Offers New Sleeping Bag Experience
- World's 10 Most Dangerous Mountains
- Taco Cat Is A Bike-Only Taco Delivery Service
- American Wins Boston Marathon… Wearing Skechers shoes
- 1,000-Year-Old Native American Canoe
- The Stoke Factor: Explained
- No Reel Needed: Patagonia Fly Fishing Kit Is Simple, Light And Effective
- 12 Good Boots: Find Your Perfect Hiking Footwear For Spring 2014
- Goal Zero Camp Lantern Provides Light, Built-In Charging Station
- Friends of Gear Junkie
- Monopoint Media
- Adventure Blog
- Adventure Journal
- Outside Online
- Cold Splinters
- Sender Films
- Elevation Outdoors
- Rock and Ice Magazine
- Trail Runner Magazine
- REI Blog
- Weekly E-Newsletter
Sign up for our e-news for a weekly update on new gear, adventure travel, and prize giveaways.