Recap of stories for the week of Jan. 1 – 7, 2017.
1) Goal Zero Just Announced A Gas Generator
Goal Zero just revealed its next-generation of portable power, including one big surprise.
2) First Look: Upcoming 2017-18 Winter Gear
The Outdoor Retailer trade show, held next week in Utah, is a mecca of winter gear. Here we give an exclusive peek at the most interesting new products coming to market for winter 2017-18.
Notice On Publication:
As editor of GearJunkie, I would like to apologize for the article published this week that was removed from the site on 01/05/17. We have discussed at length internally. We recognize the issue of gender disparity in the outdoors, and we will strive to do better addressing these issues. We apologize for any hurt the article caused. We realize now the premise and content of the article were unfair. This article and the response will help guide our decision-making in the future. Please contact me with any questions or concerns at email@example.com. GearJunkie is always open to feedback. –Stephen Regenold
3) Consumer Electronics Show: 10 Eye-Catching Gadgets
From ‘modular’ electric cars to luggage you can literally ride to the gate, these 10 products take tech to the next level.
4) Industry Lens: Icebreaker Talks Trends For Outdoors 2017
‘We are moving from decades of consumerism focused on acquiring stuff to an age of seeking out more meaningful experiences and connections.’
5) Burton Reinvents The ‘Step-On’ Binding System
No straps needed, just step on and ride. The biggest snowboarding brand in the world just gave retro bindings a major face-lift.
6) Adventuremobile: Should You Get A Winch?
It’s costly, heavy, and potentially dangerous, but a good winch can make your off-road vehicle nearly invincible. So, is a winch right for you?
7) Your Old Gear Can Help Save Lives Right Now
Start your year in the best way possible: Clear the clutter and impact someone else’s life for the better.
8) Rules Change Makes It Easier To Sell Public Lands
New rules make it easier to transfer public lands to states, possibly paving the way to selling off Roosevelt-era public lands.
9) Slackliner Rescues Unconscious Man Hanging From Chairlift
When a man is dangling by his neck from a chairlift, it’s a professional slackliner to the rescue!
10) Predictions: What’s Outside In 2017
In 2017, we expect to see the continuation of several years-long trends in the outdoors, plus the introduction of a few unexpected launches that could revolutionize industries.
11) Head to Head: In Search Of ‘Perfect’ Lightweight Puffy Jacket
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer and LL Bean Ultralight 850 Down Jacket are pinnacle light-puffy pieces work alone or as a mid-layer. We tested them head to head.