A recap of top stories for the week of July 2 – 8, 2017.
1) ‘Ghost Whisperer’ Puffy Inspires Sleeping Bag Of Same Name
Airy down insulation and uber-thin face fabric made the Ghost Whisperer among the most popular of all ‘puffy’ jackets in recent years. For 2018 Mountain Hardwear will add that same design and tech to its sleeping bags.
2) Adventure Packscooter Is Dirt-Road Hiking Multi-Tool
This Australian couple wanted an original adventure through New Zealand’s South Island. So they invented an entirely new vehicle to do it.
3) Survivor To Cyclist: Fund Gives Transformative Power Of Transportation
Donate $8 a month and this organization will provide bike maintenance, facilitate group rides, and provide bike education to someone formerly enslaved by sex trafficking.
4) Sport Utility Bicycle? eCargo Bike Hauls Groceries, Kids
Minivans have never been cool. Here’s a two-wheeled alternative.
5) Mega Size, Warmth, & Comfort: Exped ‘MegaMat’
Designed for car campers, Exped made a sleeping pad you will dream about while fast asleep on it.
6) Monday Bargains: Three Steals To Start Your Week
Great outdoor gear at an amazing price: That’s our goal each Monday. Check out the bargains from Osprey, Patagonia, and Therm-A-Rest and save on gear for your next adventure.
7) Sagan Expelled: The Tour de France Made A Very Unpopular Mistake
The Tour de France yesterday kicked out one of its largest stars for allegedly elbowing a fellow racer. It was a mistake.
8) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings Of The Week
Outdoor gear deals that are too good to pass up. Click at your own risk! Check out deals from: MSR, ENO, Therm-a-Rest, Surftech, Jack Wolfskin, and more.
9) Denver Post: OR Show Is Moving To Denver
The biannual gear extravaganza known as Outdoor Retailer is moving to Denver, and tomorrow Colorado representatives are expected to make it official.
10) Camper Inflates In 90 Seconds, No Poles Needed
Compressed air and ‘tubes’ instead of poles pitch the Opus Air Camper quickly.
11) And The ‘Most American Vehicle’ Is…
American workers, U.S. steel, and good old’ greenbacks, Cars.com’s American-Made Index sifts through tons of data to crown ‘The Most American’ vehicle on the road.
12) Free-Soloing Honey Hunters Risk Their Lives For Hallucinogenic Sweetness
What could be more terrifying than scaling a perilous rock face with no safety rigging? How about doing it while surrounded by hundreds of angry bees.
13) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
14) ‘The Tick Project’ Aims To Curb Lyme Disease: $8 Million Study
A five-year study involving 2,400 homes in New York could, if successful, lower Lyme disease risk across the nation.
15) Outdoor Retailer Moving To Denver: What You Need To Know
It’s official, the Outdoor Retailer summer and Winter show are moving to Denver. These are some simple facts to help you plan for the transition.
16) Origin Story: Icebreaker Born From Hand-Sewn Shirt
Jeremy Moon launched the merino brand Icebreaker in 1995 as the antithesis of ‘melted plastic with chemicals added.’
17) Hand-Built, Custom, American: Alchemy Bikes
Denver’s Alchemy Bicycle Company bucks the built-overseas trend and hand-crafts high-end carbon and titanium bikes in the U.S.