A recap of top stories for the week of Oct. 30 – Nov. 5, 2016.
1) World’s First All-Wheel-Drive Fat Bike
Two-wheel-drive sounds a lot more impressive when you’re talking about bicycles.
2) Move Over Ball Sports: High School MTB On The Rise
Mountain biking isn’t quite ready to overtake high school football among youth. Before long, though, it just might.
3) New Tool For Avalanche Safety: Drones
Placing explosives by hand is a dangerous job for ski patrollers. In the near future, drones could make it safer.
4) First Look: All-City ‘Pony Express’ Bike
Classic details, a stout frame, and an appetite for pavement or dirt, All City’s Pony Express is a unique urban ride.
5) Apps Vs Maps: Why Paper Beats Tech On The PCT
Our ‘Packing It Out team just finished hiking border-to-border from Southern California to Canada using paper maps. This is why they choose low-tech.
6) 2018: ‘Connected’ SUV Will Roll Into U.S. Market
Lynk & Co unveiled the world’s ‘most connected’ SUV. But how is it a fit for the outdoors?
7) MSR: ‘The Most Important Piece Of Gear Ever Made’
MSR believes this device could help save half a million lives – but it needs your help.
8) Popular Mountain Bike Shock Recalled
A popular shock absorber manufactured by Fox and equipped on many full-suspension mountain bikes has been recalled.
9) Safety Upgrade: Beacon Trade-In Program Offers $75 Credit
Turn in your ancient beacon and get $75 toward a new 3+ transceiver.
10) ‘Packing It Out’ Film Selected For Banff World Tour
GearJunkie is proud to announce its film in partnership with Wild Confluence Media, ‘Packing It Out: Cleaning America’s Wild Trails’, was chosen as a finalist for the 2016 Banff Mountain Film Competition.
11) Get High In Bed: How To Acclimatize At Home
When Adrian Ballinger and Emily Harrington climbed 8,188-meter Cho Oyu in a single ‘lightning’ push last month, they cut out traditional acclimatization entirely. This is how.
12) Did He Survive? PR Stunt Pitted Copywriter Against The Wild
An outdoors newbie roughs it for five days in this video. The results are both hilarious and perplexing.
13) Review: Stio ‘Eddy Gingham’ Women’s Shirt
Stio took a shot at an all-around rugged shirt for women. We put the Eddy Gingham to the test.
14) Red Bull’s 400-Man ‘Fox Hunt’ Is Absolute MTB Mayhem
400 amateur mountain bikes chase one professional ‘fox,’ all tearing down the mountain at the same time.
15) 16 Fixes: Leatherman Multi-Tool In The Field
The multi-tool has utility built right into the name. But how many applications does it have? Seems infinite, but here are 16 we’ve employed in the field.
16) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
Our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
17) Dream Big: Best 2017 Road Bikes Over $10K
Want to go fast and money’s not an issue? These pro-calibre steeds all cost nearly $10,000 (or more) and are among the best road bikes of 2017.
18) 1955 Volkswagen Bus Reborn From Forest Grave
One man saw life in a 1955 Volkswagen Panel Van that had sat in the forest for 40 years. This is the story of its remarkable rebirth.
19) BOgear: Quality Packs Made In Australia
BOgear builds custom packs from durable Cordura fabrics, by hand, in Brisbane, Australia.