Gravel champ Pete Stetina returned to the Belgian Waffle Ride San Diego to defend his 2019 title — and did just that.
Pete Stetina, a California cyclist and gravel rider, took home gold at the Belgian Waffle Ride in San Diego on Sunday. The Belgian Waffle Ride is a 200km+ gravel ride that takes course over several mountain passes, off-road sectors, and water crossings — with over 3,000 m of elevation gain. His final finish time? Six hours 10 minutes and 20 seconds — a personal best for this ride.
The Belgian Waffle Ride (BWR) is a “217km race over dirt, gravel, single-track, steep bergs, long climbs, creek crossings, and unrelenting head-winds,” race organizers describe. It’s also known as the “hell of the west coast.”
Stetina took gold at the 2019 Belgian Waffle Ride (with a time of 6 hours 20 minutes 37 seconds), which was canceled in 2020. This means that his 2021 wins make him a two-time consecutive champ at this race.
- Bike: Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
- Seatpost: Canyon s15 2.0
- Tires: Serac Sand X Guard 30c (front); Formula X Guard 30c (rear)
- Handlebars: Pro Bike Gear Discover 15 deg flare
- Groupset: Shimano Ultegra RX Di2
- Computer: Wahoo Fitness BOLT
- Helmet: Lazer Sport G1 helmet
- Shoes: Shimano S-PHYRE RC9
- Kit/Jersey: Canyon x Sportful collab
- Fuel: Clif Bars