A recap of top stories for the week of May 13–19, 2018.
1) Monday Bargains: 3 Steals to Start Your Week
Looking for great outdoor gear at an amazing price? Check out these discounts and sales from prAna, Cabela’s, and Leatherman.
2) Visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park: A Great Plains Gem
In the Badlands of North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is an unexpectedly epic hub for adventure enthusiasts. We spent a week in the park and came back with a jam-packed trip report.
3) 70-Year-Old Double-Amputee Summits Everest
After 40 years and four failed attempts, Chinese climber Xia Boyu became the first double-amputee to summit Everest from the south.
4) Outdoor Retailer Demo Day Goes Downtown, Welcomes Public
Outdoor Retailer’s “demo day” goes urban this year and will offer events and gear demos open to the public.
5) ‘Mudfest’ Captures the Dirty Joy of Sloppy Truck Driving
An eager community of die-hard truck enthusiasts gathers to see custom builds kick up the mud for Mudfest.
6) YETI on Wheels: Meet the Tundra Haul
YETI coolers are notoriously big and burly. But with the addition of wheels, the brand hopes to make them easier to ‘haul.’
7) Jesper Tjäder Hits 7 Trees in Amazing Late-Season Ski Edit
Follow one expert skier via GoPro as he navigates an incredibly dense forest short on snow. You won’t find deep powder or wide open bowls here.
8) Next-Gen Headlamp Is a Silicone Strap
A cult favorite in the bike industry, Knog enters the outdoors and camping markets with a multifunctional, mono-chassis headlamp. Meet the Bandicoot.
9) Grueling Race Pits Runners Against Largest Ski Jump In US
Athletes raced 400 meters straight up the largest artificial ski jump tower in the U.S. during the Red Bull 400 at Copper Peak in Michigan.
10) Whole-Leaf Tea Might Be Your Next Hydration Boost
Tea is an ancient beverage, but a new twist aims to bring it to your workout routine.
11) Ortovox Recalls 3+ Avalanche Transceivers
Ortovox issued a recall that could affect all 3+ avalanche transceivers made by the brand. If you own an Ortovox 3+, check it now!
12) Wings to Wheels: Wright Brothers Launches 21st-Century Bikes
Before their leap of faith at Kitty Hawk, Wilbur and Orville Wright made bicycles. More than a century later, their brand unveils two stunning commuter builds.
13) The Perfect Saddle for Your Chamois: Rapha Launches Bike Seats
Renowned bib short manufacturer launched its first line of saddles to create a “perfect” comfort system between bike shorts and bike seat.
14) The Garmin Descent Mk1 Is Perfect for Spearfishing: Here’s Why
The Garmin Descent Mk1 is a fully capable GPS-enhanced dive computer with the added functionality of Fenix 5’s everyday lifestyle activity tracking.
15) Australian Steve Plain Crushes ‘Seven Summits’ Record
Four years after a spinal injury nearly left him paralyzed, Steve Plain became the fastest person to reach the peak of every continent’s tallest mountain this week. He finished the coveted Seven Summits in 117 days.
16) Screaming Deals: Gear Savings of the Week
Smith, Teva, Marmot, Leatherman, and more are on sale this week. Our weekly column finds the best deals from across the web to save you money on outdoors gear.
17) I Shot a Feature Film on a Pocket-Size Camera: Here’s How
You can do a lot with a very little camera. My film, ‘The Snowman Trek,’ hits the big screen today, and I shot it all on a camera you can buy for less than $500. Here’s how.
18) Running From LA to Vegas as Fast as Possible: Watch ‘Speed Project’
The Speed Project is an unsanctioned 344-mile team race from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. It’s blazing hot, very fast, and unpredictable.
19) Burly Nissan: Armada ‘Mountain Patrol’ Hits Overland Expo
For the second year in a row, Nissan aims to make a splash at the annual Overland Expo in Flagstaff, Arizona. This year it swings big with the Armada Mountain Patrol.
20) ‘Demented’ Poaching Ring Busted in Pacific Northwest
Authorities filed more than 200 charges of interstate wildlife poaching after finding dozens of headless animals ‘left to rot.’ Investigators say the case is unlike anything they’ve ever seen.
21) Emerging Gear: Outdoor Products This Week
From next-gen tech to ingenious innovation, our weekly peek at emerging products examines the sometimes cutting-edge, sometimes quirky world of gear design.
22) Thundrblades: Electric Skates Throttle Your Feet 25 MPH
Get your cutoff jean shorts and wrist guards ready. Thundrblades introduces electric, carbon fiber, glow-in-the-dark inline skates.
23) Camp for Free on Public Land: ‘Dispersed Camping’ 101
No campground, just a spot on the side of the road on public land: Dispersed camping is free, fun, and easier than you might expect.
24) Video Stoke: Freeride MTB on Dreamline in New Zealand
Hold on for some huge gaps as Antoine Buffart and Olivier Cuvet rip it up on Dreamline in Queenstown, New Zealand.
25) 5 REI Deals to Kick Off Summer at the Beach
Summer’s right around the corner. Do you have your suit, sunnies, and water toys ready to roll?
26) Cannondale Crowns Lightest ‘Lefty’ Suspension Fork Yet
Cannondale unveils the ‘world’s first single-crown, single-sided suspension fork’ – the new Lefty Ocho – on its latest XC hardtail, the F-Si mountain bike.
27) Instructor Sentenced in Death of 12-Year-Old Climbing Prodigy
Nicola Galizia was convicted of manslaughter after Tito Traversa climbed on incorrectly assembled climbing hardware, resulting in the young climber’s death.
28) Conservation’s Latest Problem? Not Enough Hunters
Hunters are among the biggest funders of conservation in the United States. But as hunting numbers decline, who will be left to foot the bill?
29) Five US Ultras Go Reusable, Save 140,000 Cups From Landfill
The North Face opts for reusable rubber cups during its Endurance Challenge ultramarathon race series.
30) Free Gear Fridays: Therm-a-Rest Parsec Sleeping Bag Giveaway
Win a Therm-a-Rest Parsec Sleeping Bag in this week’s Free Gear Friday giveaway! Click to enter now.
31) Land Rover Builds a Phone Fit for the Outdoors
The vehicle brand has a phone offering new this spring. And like its famous trucks, the phone is made to handle rugged terrain outdoors.
32) REI’s Biggest Sale of the Year Starts Today
Save money and get the best gear in the outdoors industry? You should be stoked for the Anniversary Sale.
33) GoPro Rockets: Watch Homemade Experiments Blast Off
Witness the power of experimental rockets as part of the Intercollegiate Rocket Competition. GoPros captured liftoffs, flights, and the occasional crash!
34) Police Follow Strava to Bust Bike Assailant
A man biking on a trail in Northern Virginia intentionally struck another cyclist. Police tracked down the suspect thanks to his Strava feed.
35) Huge Savings: 70% Off Cycling, Running & Training Picks From REI
Don’t let the 70 percent off tag discourage you. We sifted through REI’s most heavily discounted products and found the best picks – all of high quality.