Patagonia’s steps toward manufacturing a greener neoprene include incorporating limestone instead of oil as a base for its wetsuit fabric. The company touts suits like the Men’s R2 Short-Sleeved to be warmer as well as more environmentally conscious: A high closed-cell ratio adds dead air space to increase warmth.
Additional eco touches include PVC-free kneepads and a chlorine-free wool suit liner. Patagonia Men’s R2 Short-Sleeved Full Suit costs $510. www.patagonia.com
This product is a part of a series of “Green Gear” highlighted on Gear Junkie and an accompanying article on ESPN this week. See all the featured products below.
- Patagonia “Greener Neoprene” wetsuit
- Movement Eco Ski
- Merrell NADA Jacket
- Carbon Neutral Camp Stove
- Dervish Bamboo Longboard
- JanSport Reclaimed Backpacks
- Solio Magnesium solar charger
- Zero MX Electric Motorcycle
- Billabong Recycled Boardshorts
- Dragon “Plant-Based” Sunglasses
- Sustainably-harvested Surfboard